billi bierling female mountaineer and journalist from Germany

Belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

I seem to have written the word ‘apologies’ rather often lately but I have just noticed that I have not posted anything since I first got to Islamabad in early October this year. So there you go – apologies for being so quiet but then again I usually refrain from sending updates when I am not on expedition – and I have not been since Shisha Pangma in September this year.

I have not even climbed a little hill (other than running up the Margalla Hills in Islamabad) since October and I really miss the mountains – even though I am sitting here in my home village of Garmisch-Partenkirchen being surrounded by them.

The Garmisch mountains in the mist before the snow came on Christmas Day

The Garmisch mountains in the mist before the snow came on Christmas Day

But we do have a member in the family who has climbed Everest at least four times in the last two months and this is my 81-year-old mum, who had caught a flesh eating bacteria, called necrotising fascitis, while on holiday in Italy. This nasty bug is known to either quickly kill people if not operated on within a few days or at least take a limb – and in my mum’s case it would have been the leg. She has been incredibly brave and has gone through something that many people do not manage and I am incredibly proud of her. Now the last thing she needs to master is walking again but after all she has been through, this will only be a 6,000-m-peak as supposed to an 8,000er.

And so I have left Islamabad in a rush to go to the small Italian island of Ischia, where my mum was taken to hospital and I have been in Europe (Italy, Germany, Switzerland) ever since. I started working for the Swiss Humanitarian Aid in Bern on 7 December and will be there until mid March, when I go back to Nepal again to help Miss Elizabeth Hawley with the Himalayan Database. I have no expedition planned for spring 2015, however, I am looking into going to climb Broad Peak in Pakistan in summer next year.

So for the time being I would like to wish you all a very belated Merry Christmas and of course a wonderful, healthy and fun 2015. I am already looking forward to sharing my adventures again with you.

Happy 2015!

9 Responses

1. زهرا خلیلی said on January 17, 2015 at 9:09 am

از شما به خاطر کلاس آمادگی جسمانی که در ایران برگزار نمودید سپاسگزارم . ایکاش همیشه پیش ما بودی مهربان . پاینده باشی

2. Claudi und Clive said on January 1, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Liebe Billi,

auch von uns alles Gute und Liebe fuer’s neue Jahr und alles, alles Gute fuer deine Mama fuer eine gute Besserung. Viele liebe Gruesse von Claudi, Clive, Matilda und Clara.

3. Annette said on December 29, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I am so sorry to hear that your mum has been so unwell and hope she gets better soon! Merry Christmas Billy – not sure whether you remember me – a Fachakademie blast from the past. Annette x

4. viv said on December 28, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I’m so sorry to hear your dear Mum has had this horrible sounding bug, bless her. Give her my love and best wishes . A big Christmas hug for you too of course. We’ll speak I hope soon xx

5. Jean Holt said on December 28, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Bili. I will keep your mother in my thoughts and hope for an easy and full recovery.

6. Helen said on December 28, 2014 at 1:23 pm

So happy your Mum is OK, Billi! Wishing you both a happy and healthy 2015. May there be no unexpected uphills, but plenty of summits for you! See you in March in Kathmandu. Lots of love from Helen and Roland

7. markus said on December 28, 2014 at 7:49 am

Hallo Billi, alles Liebe u Gute für Dich und deine Mama im neuen Jahr!!!!!! Ich werde im Oktober 15 endlichendlich endlichendlich wieder nach Nepal gehen für ein 2 wochen-trekking durchs Solo Khumbu – ich freu mich da schon so sackrisch drauf!!!!!!!!
    Ganz liebe Grüße Markus

8. Parvaneh said on December 28, 2014 at 5:11 am

All the best for you and your dears specially lovely mum who is a wonderful lady.

9. Kate said on December 28, 2014 at 4:50 am

Happy holidays Billi! All the best to you, your mum and your loved ones!